Church Of St Thomas Of Canterbury / Church Of St Thomas A Becket

Date:
17 Jul 2000
Location:
Church Of St Thomas Of Canterbury, Horwood, Lovacott And Newton Tracey, North Devon, Devon
Show all locations
Church Of St Thomas A Becket, Horwood, Lovacott And Newton Tracey, North Devon, Devon
Reference:
IOE01/00256/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NEWTON TRACEY NEWTON TRACEY SS 52 NW 3/36 Church of St Thomas of - Canterbury (formerly listed as Church 25.2.65 of St Thomas a Becket) GV II*

Parish church. C13 fabric to chancel and nave, the latter remodelled in C15 when the tower was added. Restored 1867-8 by R. D. Gould, when the C13 north aisle was entirely rebuilt. Roughly coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable end to chancel with kneeler gablets and apex cross. West tower, nave, chancel and north aisle.

West tower of 3 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet. 4-centred arched heads to 2-light bell-openings on each face, 1 of the lights infilled to each side, with louvres to the other. Single semi-circular headed light with slate louvres to east side, second stage, under continuous dripmould. Perpendicular C15 west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with iron stanchions and saddle bars above round-arched west doorway with roll-cavetto moulded surround with rams horns stops to the base of the jambs. Small shield above and crests to the labelled hoodmould.

Gabled south porch with wrought iron apex cross and pointed arched inner and outer doorways, that to inner doorway has hollow-moulded surround and pyramid stops to the base of the jambs. Perpendicular pointed arched 3-light window to right with hoodmould. 2 lancets to chancel south side and single lancet to north side, rebuilt in C19. C19 3-light stepped lancet window at east end. C19 2 trefoil-headed light window to vestry east side and C19 lancets, 2 of 2 lights and 1 single light to north aisle. 2-light lancet at west end of north aisle with quatrefoil traceried head.

Interior: unmoulded pointed arch arcade of 2 bays with central circular pier.

C19 ceiled waggon roof to nave and single triple-roll moulded arch braced truss to ceiled chancel roof with medieval wall plates with carved decoration. Steeply pointed unmoulded chancel arch. C19 shoulderheaded piscina to north wall of chancel. Some medieval Barnstaple floor tiles remain in north aisle. C19/C20 nave furnishings. C13 font of block-capital shape with stiff-leaf decoration at the corners and cable moulding to the waist. Stained glass to east window, 1901, and to south nave window to John Dennis of Kennacott killed Flanders 1914.

Listing NGR: SS5293926879

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Hilton_Barbara IOE Records for Hilton, Barbara; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hilton, Barbara

Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara

Keywords

Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship