This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
YARNSCOMBE SS 52 SE 4/268 Langley Barton 4.10.60 II
Farmhouse. Circa early C17, almost certainly a remodelling of an earlier house; C18, C19 and C20 alterations. Stone rubble; slate roof (hipped at ends); 3 rear lateral stacks enclosed by later outshuts, end stack to north-east wing (shaft truncated), lateral stack on inner (west) return of wing.
Plan: Approximate L plan: a south facing main range, 4 rooms wide, the 3 left hand rooms heated from rear lateral stacks; approximately central entrance into a narrow cross passage. A rear right (north-east) wing and a second wing adjoining it on the west form the overall L plan with a series of outshuts and additions to the main range. A C17 stair rises between the north-east wing and the main range, a late C19/early C20 stair rises in one of the rear projections. Although the main range appears to be early C19 from the exterior it is at least early C17 in origin. A concealed date of 1624 survives on the fireplace of the 3rd room front the left (west) and this room may have been the early C17 hall, the present entrance corresponding to a C17 cross passage entrance. The north-east wing was no doubt a parlour wing with a first floor chamber (wagon roof). However, extensive rebuilding has clearly taken place. A C17 fireplace in situ in a garden wall about 1 metres from the east end of the main range indicates that the house has been truncated and the quoins at this end incorporate re-used moulded stones and much of the internal carpentry of the main range is also re-used timber (information from the owner). It seems likely that the east end of the house is the early C17 higher end with a hall and (now truncated) inner room parlour with a parlour wing at right angles. Of the 2 putative lower end rooms to the left (west) of the entrance, one retains a fireplace with slates set on edge and is unlikely to have functioned as a kitchen. The inner north-east wing, now the farm office, was used as a kitchen in the early part of the C20. The existing kitchen is the right hand room of the main range, the parlour wing has been re-partitioned as a service wing on the ground floor with bedrooms above.
The remains of a service courtyard survives to the north. The circa early C19 re- fronting of the main range has provided an approximately symmetrical south elevation.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5-bay south front with a circa early C19 porch with timber columns and a C19 half-glazed front door. Arms of the Pollard family above the front door. C19 doors to the extreme left and right, the left hand door with a glazed overlight, the right hand door half-glazed. Flanking the central front door, 2 tripartite C19 sashes, 12-pane in the centre, 4-pane in the outer lights; 5 first floor 12-pane sashes: all the windows have painted flat brick arches with keyblocks. The north east wing has laced masonry courses on the east side.
About 1 metres east of the east wall of the house a retaining garden wall incorporates a fireplace with ovolo-moulded stone jambs and a fireback of slates laid on edge.
Interior: The main range rooms have high ceilings and no evidence of early exposed carpentry. The chimney-pieces to the lateral stacks have all been partially or completely rebuilt with replaced lintels. In the third room from the left the original ovolo-moulded jambs survive in situ (matching the jambs of the fireplace in the garden wall). A relieving arch has been dismantled and rebuilt inside the existing fireplace. C17 carpentry includes a staircase with a moulded handrail and a mixture of bobbin turned and turned balusters. A C17 panelled door on the first floor retains cockshead hinges: other first floor doors include C18 2-panel doors, some with original hinges, 2 with C17 doorframes.
Roof: Not seen in detail at time of survey (1988) but the main range appears to be pegged 'A' frames with halved collars and evidence of re-used timbers. The wagon roof over the north-east wing has a modern ceiling below it and is said to retain some fragments of old plaster.
The Pollard family is said to have lived at Langley from 1303-1732 (Church Guide).
Listing NGR: SS5668924930
Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hilton, Barbara
Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Timber, Tudor Farmhouse, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Agricultural Dwelling, Jacobean Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Cross Passage House, Monument <By Form>