This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5216 OLD ROAD Chapel south-west of Harlowbury in grounds TL 41 SE 2/2 5.7.50 GV 2.
Norman Chapel, of circa 1170/80, plain and originally unbuttressed, with 3 windows in north, and south, walls, original windows in east and west, gables. Built of rubble with dressings of Reigate clunch and brick with some having bone set tiles. North door of 2 square orders with attached nook shafts sectioned as painted rolls, water leaf capitals. Re-roofed between circa 1300 and circa 1404 when desecrated and floored with timber - for use as a granary. This later roof has good crown posts with carinated fillets; the original system of roofing was late Saxon in method, for which evidence, and 2 gable rafter-couples survive. (RCHM3).
Listing NGR: TL4772912056
Copyright IoE Ms Elaine Allen . Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allen, Elaine
Rights Holder: Allen, Elaine
Brick, Clunch, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Granary, Agriculture And Subsistence, Food And Drink Processing Site, Agricultural Building