This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHURCH PATH 1.
5270 East Cowes Church of St James SZ 59 NW 5/33 17.8.51.
West Tower by Nash, all that remains of the church of that period whose foundation stone was laid by Princess Victoria in September 1831. The remainder was rebuilt by T Hellyer in 1868. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof. The west tower has pointed and quatrefoil windows and a low stair turret on the north side.
Four bay nave with clerestorey and north and south aisles with wooden gallery to part. Italian Romanesque style columns to interior. John Nash, died 1835, is buried in the churchyard. His tomb stands in the angle of the tower and the west end of the south aisle of the nave. The church is listed mainly for its connections with Nash.
Listing NGR: SZ5046595607
Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rudd, Robert
Rights Holder: Rudd, Robert
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Tomb, Funerary Site