This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CASTLE STREET 1. 5270 Cowes Clare Lallow's Grid Iron Yard SZ 59 NW 5/140 II 2. Former seaplane factory now boatyard. C1912 - 13. Red brick in English bond, corners part header bond, with wide wooden eaves and hipped roof now covered in corrugated iron sheeting. South side has 2 cambered door surrounds with rectangular fanlights, plank doors and large 3 light casement. West side has 3 cambered arches and cambered doorcases. East side has 6 large 3 light casements with wooden frames and concrete lintols (one blocked). North side to River Medina has 4 post large wooden plank doors and iron slipway. Interior has scientific kingpost roof with through purlins.
This building was originally built for the firm of J S White & Co for the construction of seaplanes, the 1st being launched in May 1913. Production later moved to west Cowes. Included as a very early seaplane factory. See Guide to Industrial Archaeology of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Dr Edwin Course of Southampton University.
Listing NGR: SZ5016495610
Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rudd, Robert
Rights Holder: Rudd, Robert
Brick, Iron, 20th Century Seaplane Factory, Industrial, Marine Construction Site, Maritime, Aircraft Factory, Vehicle Factory, Factory, Industrial Building, Aircraft Engineering Site, Vehicle Engineering Site, Engineering Industry Site, Slipway, Transport, Water Transport Site, Boat Yard