St Andrew's Church

Date:
4 Aug 1999
Location:
St Andrew's Church, Chale Street, Chale, Isle Of Wight, PO38 2HF
Reference:
IOE01/00259/19
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CHALE

SZ47NE CHALE STREET 1353-0/5/64 St Andrew's Church 18/01/67 II*

Parish church. Chancel, south or Manor chapel and the Nave and aisles are C14. In the C15 the Manor chapel was lengthened eastwards, the Nave and aisles westwards and the north and south porches and west tower added. East end of chancel added in 1832 to make it flush with the east end of the Manor chapel. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof.

Nave, north and south aisles, south chapel, north and south porches and west tower. West tower C15 of 2 stages coursed stone rubble with higher octagonal stair turret and crenellated parapet. Lancet to bell stage with quatrefoil motif. Buttresses. Plinth. Lower stage has west window with 3 lancets with cusped heads under dripmoulding. South porch C15 of stone, gabled with round-headed arch. Interior has remains of stone stoup with trefoil head. North porch also C15, stone with gable and cross-shaped saddle stone. Nave has 3 cinquefoil headed lights, 1 single, 2 double. South aisle has 3 double cinquefoil-headed lights, the right hand one with hood moulding. Interior: Nave has 2 bay south arcade with round piers, square abacus chamfered at the corners and pointed arches with one slight chamfer. Third bay is Perpendicular. Entrance to rood loft c.1300. Arch to Manor Chapel. Nave has piscina with elaborate Perpendicular brackets. Octagonal stone font. South aisle has stone wall monument to Richard Burleigh rector of Chale d.1734. Open pediment at the top crowned by heaped books. Black marble oval plaque and metal coat of arms beneath. Manor chapel has piscina in south wall with shelf over. North wall has monument to Sir Henry Worsley of the Bengal Army d.1841, a marble wall plaque with crest above flanked by Bengal lancers. Oak frieze and cusped arch. C12 round-headed arch to south chapel with moulded impost block. Some stained glass of 1860s, rest by C.E. Kempe in 1890s.

(B.O.E. "Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": 740).

Listing NGR: SZ4832377567

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Rudd_Robert IOE Records for Rudd, Robert; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rudd, Robert

Rights Holder: Rudd, Robert

Keywords

Bembridge Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque