St Andrews Parish Church

Date:
21 Sep 1999
Location:
St Andrews Parish Church, Burgoynes Road, Impington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire
Reference:
IOE01/00261/20
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TL 4463-4563 IMPINGTON BURGOYNES ROAD

15/81 St Andrews 31.8.62 Parish Church

I

Parish church. Early C13 nave and tower, upper stages rebuilt C14, and rood stair. South porch C15, chancel rebuilt during restoration of 1878, dated rain water heads. Walls of Barnack limestone with limestone and pebble rubble. Timber framed porch. Plain rile roofs with gable parapets to nave and chancel with cross finials. South elevation: Tower of three stages with Barnack limestone quoins, C15 embattled parapet with corner finials and angle gargoyles, two-centred arched, two-light belfry window. Nave with three original quoins and masked corbels. Two, three-light cinquefoiled windows restored in 1981. Sealed lancet window to west of south porch. South porch, restored in 1878, timber frames with pierced decorated barge boards, embattled cornice and side lights of three cinquefoil lights. Rebuilt chancel incorporating C12 and C13 carved stones and one shaft and capital with carved head in angle and wall arcade. Incised mass dial in buttress of south wall. Interior. Nave with late C15 crown post roof of three bays with moulded tie beams, wall posts and cornice; slender crown posts braced to collar purlin. Tie beam to east cut for C19 chancel arch, and supported on heavy stone corbels. Fine C15 fresco of St Christopher. C16 niche set at angle in window of north wall. Chancel with C19 scissor braced roof, chancel arch raised and widened in 1879. Lower arch, two-centred springing from semi-octagonal shafts with moulded caps. C13 font, octagonal basin on moulded base with octagonal shafts.

Pews rebuilt with four, poppy head bench ends. Brass removed from chancel in 1879 'Here lie John Burgoyn Esq and Margaret his wife ....Oct 1505'. Wall memorial to Catherine Houeden 1826 by Gilbert of Camb. Black marble floor slab, Thomas Wiborow, 1669.

Cook, J. Hist of Parish and Parish Church p. 23, 1951 Pevsner: Buildings of England.

R.C.H.M.: (Camb notes)

Listing NGR: TL4478663218

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Clarke_Neil J. IOE Records for Clarke, Neil J.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Dr Neil J. Clarke. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Clarke, Neil J.

Rights Holder: Clarke, Neil J.

Keywords

Lincolnshire Limestone, Pebble, Rubble, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage