This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 46 NE WATERBEACH ELY ROAD (East Side)
4/148 Denny Abbey 31.8.62 Refectory
Refectory of Fanciscan nunnery c.1340 now (1984) under restoration by the DoE. Barnack and ashlar limestone, unroofed. Five, two-trefoiled-light windows with quatrefoils in north wall, south wall rebuilt C16 and C17, and west wall C17 and C18. Converted before 1730 to an eight-bayed barn with thatched roof. Wall painting recorded by R.C.H.M. c.1970. The building is Crown Property and is a scheduled Ancient Monument.
Spittle, S.D.T. Arch. J. Vol, 124, 1967 (for plan) R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes) Sketches of wall paintings Masters, R. History of Waterbeach (Buck engraving 1730) Clay, W.K. History of Waterbeach p. 136 (interior illus.) 1857
Listing NGR: TL4923368460
Copyright IoE Dr Neil J. Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Neil J.
Rights Holder: Clarke, Neil J.
Ashlar, Lincolnshire Limestone, Thatch, Medieval Franciscan Nunnery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nunnery, Religious House, Refectory, Unassigned, Building Component, Building, Barn, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building