This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1.
5407 Chapel SU 1868 5/114 II GV 2. 1883-6. Architects Bodley and Garner (D N B suggests this was largely Garner's work). Replaced chapel built by Blore in 1840's. Sarsen hammer-dressed stone with Bath stone courses. Pitched tile roof. Aisleless, 1 storey above dado.
8 bay nave and 2-bay chancel with polygonal apse, and low vestries requiring flying butresses to abut chevet vaulting. Otherwise ordinary butresses, and 3 narrow pilasters at corners of apse, each crowned by an angel. Open bell turret over east end of nave, surmounted by fleche. Delicate C14-style bar tracery.
Interior has pointed wooden barrel vault on stone transverse arches, themselves corbelled at from deeply moulded wall arcade framing windows, and taken on applied half columns. Deeply moulded chancel arch to narrow chancel which has delicate pattern of ribs in vault. Chancel arch flanked by much lower entrances to vestries.
Below dado are an excellent series of paintings by Spencer Stanhope (1872-9), done for Blore's chapel, and framed by delicate C15-style panelling. Good benches and stalls placed longitudinally. C House, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Building, The North Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group. and railinzs _the ChaDel, and A House fonn a +rouD.]
Listing NGR: SU1836768756
Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Mack. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Hilary
Rights Holder: Mack, Hilary
Bath Stone, Sarsen Stone, Tile, Victorian Public School, Education, Private School, School, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship