This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
799 MARKET SQUARE (South-East Side) The County Hall SP 8113 NE 1/36 7.4.52.
SP 8213 2/36
2. Dated 1723 on rainwater head. 2 storeys and basement, brick, Ketton type ashlar stone up to springing of ground floor window arches, chamfered stone quoins, moulded stone string at level of springing of ground floor window and door arches, moulded stone cornice and parapet.
The three centre bays break forward slightly with bracketed cornice and pediment crowned by 3 stone urns, 2 good cast lead rain water heads.
7 windows on 1st floor, the centre windows being semi-circular headed, framed by Doric pilasters supporting broken entablature, the cornice lining with the springing of the arch which has a moulded architrave. The remaining 6 windows have moulded architraves, cornices and pediments.
5 windows and 2 doorways on ground floor. Central doorway approached by flight of moulded stone steps curving outwards on plan with heavy wrot iron balustrade. Doorway flanked by 2 semi-circular headed windows. Early C18 wrought iron grille in tympanum of doorway and in all the windows on the ground floor. The central bays flanked by two semi-circular windows.
Court entrance doorway to right hand with iron studded doors and flight of moulded steps. Semi-circular headed window to left hand of building in semi-circular headed stone recess.
5 rectangular windows in basement. Each flight of steps terminates in a pair of low stone piers each with a C19 lamp holder. A similar pair of piers opposite the left hand window.
Interior. - Good contemporary staircase to Court room with turned balusters.
Contemporary court room furniture. The Hall was built between 1720 and 1740 - Thomas Harris & Co. being mainly concerned, though Townsend of Oxford has been mentioned. Sir John Vanburgh arbitrated on designs submitted.
See Records of Bucks Vol. XII Supplement to Part 1. First floor hall by D Brandon, circa 1850. Extension to left hand dated 1865 and further extension at back and in Walton Street (1865 wing by D Brandon). The brick- work has been coloured a dark maroon at a later date. Interior reinstated after fire, 9.2.70, with woodwork mouldings and carvings in facsimile, some original work saved from the fire and incorporated.
Fine panelled courtroom.
The County Hall and the Bell Hotel form a group with No 3 Walton Street.
Listing NGR: SP8198713671
© Dr Barry Senior. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Senior, Barry
Rights Holder: Senior, Barry
Ashlar, Brick, Stone, Wrought Iron, Stuart County Hall, Georgian Civil, Local Government Office, Government Office, Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Balustrade, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Gate Pier, Unassigned
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.