Anglican, Non Conformist And Mortuary Chapels, Aylesbury Cemetery

Date:
29 Aug 1999
Location:
Anglican, Non Conformist And Mortuary Chapels, Aylesbury Cemetery, Tring Road, Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire
Reference:
IOE01/00269/33
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

The following building shall be added to the list:

SP 8313 AYLESBURY TRING ROAD 2/10002 Anglican, Non-Conformist and Mortuary Chapels, Aylesbury Cemetery

GV II

Anglican and Non-Conformist cemetery chapels and mortuary chapel. 1856 by W.F.Poulton and W.H. Woodman.

Anglican and Non-Conformist Chapels - coursed rubble with stone dressings and continuous sill bands. Stone offsets to buttresses.

Steeply pitched slated roofs with fishscale patterning and brattished ridge tiles. Gothic style. Anglican chapel 3 bays and lower chancel.

Steeply gabled projecting entrance porch in north western bay and slender bell tower with lancet openings, lucarnes and spire at north western angle. Corresponding to the porch, on the south west bay, a similar transept with lancet window and 3-light triangular window in a small western gable. Windows of curvilear style tracery with aprons of blind stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted interior with enriched orbels to chancel arch and scissor-truss roof.

Retains cusped altar rails and wooden pulpit. Non-Conformist Chapel 4 bays with similar north eastern porch to the right'of which a similar bell tower with spire rises. Gabled south-western vestry transept similar to Anglican. Windows of Geometric tracery with blind stone arcading corresponding to lights. Plain painted interior with moulded corbels to scissor-truss roof.

Mortuary chapel - Pale yellow brick with black brick diaper patterning and dressings; stone dressings and buttress offsets. South western rear facade of red brick. Pyramidal slated roof, upswept at dogtooth brick eaves, and gables; cross finial. Rectangular plan. Pointed arch entrance to north western facade. Returns have 3 grouped lancet windows each. Rear with plain 2-leaf wooden doors. The three chapels are a good example of early Burial Board architecture; the London Act had been extended to the rest of England and Wales in 1853. The contract was won by the Reading based architects in competition; the firm specialised in Non-Conformist churches and was successful in competitions for several cemeteries in central southern England.

Listing NGR: SP8290913571

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Senior_Barry IOE Records for Senior, Barry; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Senior, Barry

Rights Holder: Senior, Barry

Keywords

Brick, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Tile, Victorian Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Cemetery Chapel, Mortuary Chapel