This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1. DANBURY MAIN ROAD 5213 (North Side) DANBURY
The Griffin Inn TL 7705 29/68 29.12.52.
II GV 2.
The original house was built soon after 1500 and it became an inn in 1744, known as The Griffin's Head. Prior to this it was known as "Peppers" and was owned by Thomas Emery who bequeathed it to his son Thomas in 1603. Sir Walter Scott stayed here and mentioned the Inn in the introduction to Waverley (1814). A timber-framed and plastered building, now faced in roughcast on the front and weatherboarded on the west side and at the rear, with cross wings at the east and west ends. The timber-framing is exposed on the lst storey of the east cross wing. Considerably altered in the C18 and later. 2 storeys, attics and cellars. The windows are mainly double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There are 2 modern bay windows on the ground storey. Roof tiled, with 2 gabled dormers with 3-light windows in the centre block. The interior has 2 traceried panels of C15 work, probably part of the wood screen of the church thrown out at the Reformation. (RCHM 3).
Nos 58 and 60 and The Griffin Inn with The Chantry and Lingwood Housse form a group.
Listing NGR: TL7793905286
This is part of the Series: IOE\Phillips_Richard IOE Records for Phillips, Richard; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Richard Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Phillips, Richard
Rights Holder: Phillips, Richard
Plaster, Roughcast, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Stuart Timber Framed House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Inn, Commercial, Residential Building