This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TF3243NE HIGH STREET 716-1/10/66 (East side) 27/05/49 Baptist Chapel and Schoolroom (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (East side) High Street General Baptist Church.)
Baptist chapel and schoolroom. 1837 with alterations of 1841 and 1853 and added schoolroom of 1864. Gault brick, painted ashlar dressings, red brick rear and schoolroom, Welsh slate roofs. Dogtooth cornice to plain parapet, small stone plinth.
Gothick style. EXTERIOR: 2 storey, 5-bay symmetrical front, each bay defined by stepped buttresses with plain pinnacles. The centre 3 bays are under one large gable, with the gabled centre broken forward slightly. The flanking bays are lower and individually gabled. Centre 3-light glazing bar window with dripmould, above a tall 3-light window with pointed head and intersecting tracery, sill band and dripmould. In the gable a small arched opening and datestone of 1837. To either side projecting small gabled porches with panelled double doors in arched opening with dripmould. The flanking wings have a pair of pointed doorways with an arch over. Above, each of the 4 outer bays has a 2-light arched Gothick window with glazing bars and dripmould. The returns are in red brick, of 3 bays with full height pilasters. To ground floor are 3 glazing bar casements with segmental heads and above are 3 similar windows but with Gothick lights and arches. The rear sunday schoolroom is 2 storeys, in red brick, with 3-light casements. INTERIOR: gallery round all 4 sides on slender cast-iron piers, with panelled sides and raked seats. The preacher's stall is on a platform, with decorative cast-iron balusters, wreathed handrail and decorative turned newels.
Listing NGR: TF3276343613
Copyright IoE Mr Ray Horrocks. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Horrocks, Ray
Rights Holder: Horrocks, Ray