This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1. DANBURY DANBURY PARK 5213 Danbury palace TL 70 SE 14/611
An early C19 red brick mansion dating from 1832. It stands on the site of a Mildmay mansion dated 1589. It was designed by Susan Costantia Round, wife of the owner, and Thomas Hopper. From 1845 to 1890 it was occupied by the Bishops of Rochester and later of St Albans. It is now owned by the Essex County Council.
The main block is 2 storeys and parts rise to 3 and 4 storeys. The windows generaLly are mullioned and transomed casements. A large 2 storey entrance bay projects on the west side with an ornamental open parapet and corner turrets.
The south side has a castellated parapet and an octagonal corner turret on the north-east corner. At the south end there is a chapel with traceried windows which was added by Bishop Wigram (1860-67).
Listing NGR: TL7663504955
© Richard Phillips. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Phillips, Richard
Rights Holder: Phillips, Richard
Brick, Tudor Counting House, Elizabethan Domestic, House, Dwelling, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship