This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PURLEIGH MILL LANE TL 80 SW (east side) 1/102 Mill Farmhouse GV II
House. Circa 1778, altered in early C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded with facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Rectangular plan facing SW, with internal stack at left end and external stack at right end. Early C19 extension to rear of right end, forming a catslide with the main roof, and later lean-to extension along the remainder of the rear elevation. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights in segmental brick arches, with some crown glass, and doorway converted to C20 casement. First floor, 2 similar sashes and one blocked over former door.
Entrance in right return. In the rear elevation, on the upper storey, is one original 3-light window with wrought iron casement and rectangular leading.
Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. The court rolls of Le How manor record that on 23 March 1778 Roger Cook, shopkeeper, was admitted to this land as waste with liberty to erect a tenement and windmill thereon, and that by 30 October 1782 he had mortgaged it with the cottage, windmill, outhouses and buildings thereon built (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5). At that stage the brick facade would not have been present, and probably not the right stack either. (See item 1/100).
Listing NGR: TL8335702105
Copyright IoE Richard Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Phillips, Richard
Rights Holder: Phillips, Richard
Brick, Clay, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Georgian Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building