This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BATH ROAD 1.
5407 (North Side) Littlefield SU 1868 5/149 II 2. 1870 (designed). 1871-2 built. Architect G E Street. Built in concrete to the patent method of Charles Drake, who lectured on it to the Civil and Mechanical Engineers Society in 1875 (reported in Building News 25 June 1875). A very early use of concrete indeed, with flint aggregate and lump chalk packing. Cement rendering, A little tile-hanging under eaves, but otherwise no attempt to conceal the material.
Brick strings at plinth and lst floor sill level. Pitched tile roofs. Tall brick stacks with elaborate cornicing.
3 storeys and basements. Study and dormitory wing to west was formerly the mirror image of that to east of Cotton House, but was burned down and rebuilt in a subdued New Brutalist manner circa 1960.
Remainder on irregular plan, each part with its own pitched roof. Very steep proportions. Windows are mullioned and transomed casements in flush frames, with moulded cornices over (no transoms on 2nd floor). 2 doors, planked, with contemporary iron hinges, both with mullioned oblong fanlights, 1 arched.
Listing NGR: SU1804268809
Copyright IoE Mr Simon Mack. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Simon
Rights Holder: Mack, Simon
Brick, Cement, Chalk, Concrete, Flint, Render, Tile, Victorian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling