Church Of St Lawrence

Date:
14 Sep 2001
Location:
Church Of St Lawrence, High Street, Bourton On The Water, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54 2AQ
Reference:
IOE01/00290/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1.

5224 HIGH STREET (north-east side)

Church of St lawrence SP 1620 NE 3/11 25.8.60

II* GV

2. Tower 1784, nave mostly late C19, chancel C14 said to be 1328. The church was rebuilt except the chancel in 1784 by William Marshall, and the nave almost completely remodelled from Georgian back to Decorated by Sir T G Jackson, while retaining the tower and chancel. North aisle 1875, south porch 1890, nave 1891.

Coursed rubble with Cotswold stone roof. Five bay nave with round piers and pointed arches and a king-post roof. The chancel has features of the C14 with a roof of 1890, painted by F Howard in 1928. Good late C19 and early C20 church fittings. Pulpit of 1888. Three stage tower of ashlar, rusticated on ground stage and with giant Ionic pilaster quoins above. Balustrade, vase finials, lead covered dome. Lozenge shaped clock on south face dated 1785. Large round clock above.

It is an interesting church of 3 periods, the C18 tower being particularly fine, and stands in important relationship to the village and the vale as a whole.

Nave and south porch illustrated in The Building News 26 February 1886.

Listing NGR: SP1669520863

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0750 IOE Records taken by Lorna Freeman; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Freeman, Lorna

Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna

Keywords

Ashlar, Cotswold Stone, Rubble, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship