Cameo Cottage

Date:
16 Sep 1999
Location:
Cameo Cottage, Chapel Lane, Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3 6PY
Reference:
IOE01/00371/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

PURLEIGH CHAPEL LANE TL 80 SW (west side) 1/81 Cameo Cottage GV II

Cottage. 1778, extended in late C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing SE, with internal stack at left end. Late C19 2-storey extension to left, with C20 lean-to conservatory in front of it. C19 lean-to extension to rear. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements with rectangular leading. First floor, 2 similar casements in lean-to dormers. Gambrel roof. C20 door in lean-to at right rear corner. The left extension has a continuous line of C20 lights on the ground floor, and one C20 casement on the first floor. Chamfered axial beams, plain joists of vertical section. The court rolls of Le How Manor of 23 March 1778 record that James Bowles, husbandman, was admitted to 16 rods of How Plain with liberty to erect a cottage, and of 30 October 1782 that he had sold the land with a cottage thereon to John Kendal, carpenter (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5).

Listing NGR: TL8370701744

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1581 IOE Records taken by Richard Phillips; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Richard Phillips. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Phillips, Richard

Rights Holder: Phillips, Richard

Keywords

Clay, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Georgian House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building