This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TF3244SE SOUTH STREET 716-1/7/169 (East side) 20/11/75 Nos.2 AND 4 Shodfriars Hall
Guildhall, now shops, offices and entertainments hall. c1400, C17, restored and extended by Sir George Gilbert Scott 1873.
Timber-framed with lath and plaster nogging, and red brick with plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: main timber-framed facade to South Street, 3 storeys plus attics, with jettied 1st and 2nd floors. 2 large bays, each topped by a C19 bargeboarded gable. 2 tall brick ridge stacks. Ground floor has 8, four-centred arches, 3 to right form shop, No.2, and 2 to left form shop, No.4, 2 arches between have studded doors to offices above. Both shops have central doors flanked by glazing bar shop windows. 1st floor has arch-braced box framing with plaster panels decorated with Tudor roses. Each bay has a group of one 3-light and two 4-light wooden traceried mullion windows. Above each bay has a group of four 3-light similar windows. Above again gables have diamond brace, decorative framing, with a pair of 3-light wooden mullion windows each. The north facade, to Sibsey Lane has a single timber-framed and jettied bay to the west, with four 4-centred arches with glazing bar shop windows, above a pair of 4-light wooden traceried mullion windows, and above again four 3-light similar windows, above again in the bargeboarded gable with decorative diamond arch-braced framing and a pair of 3-light wooden mullioned windows. The remainder of this facade is brick added in 1873 in the Gothic Revival style, with 4 bays to the west with a single 4-centred arch doorway and 2 small casements. Above 3 tall casements and a blind white brick panel each in a chamfered 4-centred arch. Further east, 3 very tall bays topped by a cross-stepped gable each. The western bay has a shop at ground floor, and the others have 2 casements, above 3 very tall pointed arch cross casement windows, each flanked by single lower, 4-centred arch white brick panels. Beyond to the east a single bay entrance bay with a single double chamfered segmental arched entrance, with above 4 white brick panels in chamfered 4-centred arches. The south facade, to Shodfriars Lane has 3 bays of arch-braced and jettied box framing to west, with 6 alternating wide and narrow 4-centred arches, with glazing bar shop windows and 3 plain arches beyond. Above two 2-light and a single 3-light traceried wooden mullioned windows. Above again three 3-light similar windows. Beyond to east, the remainder of the facade is brick of 1873, with 3 very tall bays, topped by crow-stepped gables. The ground floor has 2 small shops, and 2 doorways and 2 casement windows, above 3 very tall pointed arch cross basement windows, each flanked by single lower 4-centred arch white brick panels. Beyond to east a final bay, with a doorway and 2 casements on the ground floor, with above a central casement and above again a loft doorway and hoist within a 4-centred double-chamfered arch, with either side tall white brick panels in 4-centred arches, each with a small casement.
INTERIOR: 2 king post roof misses in right range and a fine C17 fireplace elaborately carved with panelled overmantle. HISTORY: this building was probably built as the 'Golden Hows', 'the principal mansion of the guilds' c1400. The rear wing of 1873 was built for Boston Conservative Club.
Listing NGR: TF3285844000
© Mr Ray Horrocks. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Horrocks, Ray
Rights Holder: Horrocks, Ray
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.