This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRATTON CHURCH ROAD ST 95 SW (south side) 5/10 Three monuments in the churchyard between 21 and 28 metres west of Church of St James GV II Three chest tombs. Late C18. Limestone. Easterly tomb has plinth, two raised panels to main sides with recessed centre panel with cherub and drapery, quarter balusters to corners, cornice to pulvinated frieze and moulded flat top; John Smith died 1778. Of two tombs further west, south one has fielded oval panel to main sides in egg and dart moulded surround, cherubs in spandrels and carved drapery to side pilasters, quarter balusters and cornice to fluted frieze and moulded flat top; partly illegible inscription with date 1777. North tomb has plinth, two shaped panels to main sides with central semi-circular headed panel with bas-relief carving of standing female figure, reeded pilasters, weathered top supported on four free-standing columns; Rebecca Brownjohn died 1809.
Listing NGR: ST9138351925
© Mr Ron L Pybus. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pybus, Ron L
Rights Holder: Pybus, Ron L
Limestone, Georgian Chest Tomb, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Tomb, Funerary Site