Former Admirals Offices And Forecourt Walls And Attached Iron Railings / The Admirals Offices

Date:
1 Sep 2000
Location:
Former Admirals Offices And Forecourt Walls And Attached Iron Railings, Main Gate Road, Chatham, Medway, Kent, ME4 4TZ
Show all locations
The Admirals Offices, Her Majestys Dockyard, Chatham, Medway, Kent, ME4 4TZ
Reference:
IOE01/00407/36
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TQ 76 NE CHATHAM MAIN GATE ROAD (South side) Chatham Dockyard 762-1/8/72 Former Admiral's Offices and forecourt walls and attached iron railings 24.5.71

GV II*

Offices. 1809, by Edward Holl, architect for the Navy Board. Brick with stone dressings and 4 brick axial stacks and a slate roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth with a central axial passage, rear wing and mid-late C19 N extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6: 15-window range. A symmetrical range with left-hand section set back; plinth, plat band and moulded eaves cornice, with a central pedimented 5-window section set forward with a Royal cartouche in the pediment, and distinctive wide round ground-floor 3-light bays at each end with cornices. An ashlar porch has curved steps up each side to flat-headed doorways, panelled corners, cornice and blocking course, and a central round-arched window. Rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane recessed sashes, with similar windows to the left-hand end. Right-hand return 6-window range with single-storey porch with half-glazed door and sunken panel above, with carved timber herms each side with skewed Ionic capitals and a bust and furled flags to the top. Left-hand extension with similar windows with a round-arched doorway with double doors and large fanlight. INTERIOR: large entrance hall divided by 2 Doric columns to antae, with round-arched doorways each side to axial passages between end doorways, giving on to front and rear offices, and a rear stone dogleg stair with cast-iron stick balusters, curtail and wreathed rail, lit by a lantern; 6-panel doors with panelled reveals and moulded cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached low front forecourt walls and iron railings to the entrance steps. HISTORY: replaced a 1750 office, and to the same plan as the 1780$ South Office Block at Portsmouth (qv). An early specialist office building in a national context, indicative of the complexity of administration produced by the scale of the early C19 Yard, and forming part of a fine and remarkably complete assemblage of Georgian naval buildings. (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 173 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 47; MacDougall P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 166; The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent & the Weald: London:1976:206)



Listing NGR: TQ7591369157

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1260 IOE Records taken by M K Lofthouse; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Lofthouse, M.K

Rights Holder: Lofthouse, M.K

Keywords

Brick, Iron, Slate, Stone, Georgian Wall, Monument (By Form), Barrier, Office, Unassigned, Building, Railings