This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KESSINGLAND CHURCH ROAD TM 58 NW 3/29 Church of St. Edmund -
Parish church. Mid C15 tower. The remainder of the church has been rebuilt as follows: chancel, south aisle and south chapel pulled down late C16, and the south arcade infilled to form the present south nave wall; north nave wall collapsed 1668 and rebuilt 1694-5 slightly inside the old alignment; chancel added 1908, vestry added 1980. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry; detached remains of south aisle in churchyard. Mainly flint rubble with stone dressings; the north nave is red brick with some burnt headers.
The nave roof is thatched, the chancel plaintiled. Fine 4-stage tower, 30m high, of knapped flint with flushwork to the plinth and buttresses; stone string courses; later flat parapet of red brick. The west doorway has jambs and arch in 2 orders, decorated with various motifs including fleurons, mitre, crown, anchor and shields; label mould supported by lions, with angels in the spandrels. 3-light west window, flanked by tall canopied niches, now empty.
Between the window and doorway is a frieze of wavy quatrefoil tracery and a central figure of St. Edmund. 2-light windows at ringing chamber level, 3- light belfry openings. The south nave has a range of 4 renewed 2-light windows in Perpendicular style; the porch is dated 1578 with the initials 'RB'. The north nave wall has 3 late C17 cross windows under segmental arches; mid C20 glass. A buttress has a stone inscribed 'John Camp 1695'.
The chancel is in Perpendicular style; to the south is a re-used 3-light C15 window. Interior. The 6-bay south aisle arcading is still visible; it extended a little further east than the present chancel arch. At the west end of the north nave wall is the inscription 'This Church was put Out and Rebuilt by the care of John Campe & Thos Godfery Gent in the Year 1694 and Finished in 95'. Fine C15 octagonal font: canopied figures on the bowl panels and against the stem, angels with outstretched wings on the underside of the bowl. Arms of George II in base of tower. The furnishings are mostly C20. Graded I for medieval work, notably the tower.
Listing NGR: TM5277586266
© Mr David W. Collins. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Collins, David W.
Rights Holder: Collins, David W.
Brick, Flint, Rubble, Stone, Thatch, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.