Hospital Of The Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital)

Date:
18 Oct 1999
Location:
Hospital Of The Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital), North End, Croydon, Greater London
Reference:
IOE01/00423/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for NORTH END 9/1 Hospital of the Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital) The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51

------------------------------------

1.

5009 NORTH END

Hospital of the Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital) TQ 3265 9/1 20.5.54

I

2.

Founded by Archbishop Whitgift (1580-1604) for the use and benefit of the poor, and built 1596-9. Two-storeys. Red brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. Quad- rangular plan. Front has 2-2-2-2-2 stone mullioned windows all in one plane, those on ground floor having drip-moulds and the end portions being crowned by gables with stone capping. Three storey central stone-capped gatehouse having round-arched doorway with pilasters, and entablature with motto, "Qui dat pauperi non indigebit" under broken pediment enclosing a shield of the Arms of the City of Canterbury. Above the 2 windows on first floor is a panel bearing mitre in relief. Two single light stone windows to second floor. Blue brick diaper work and initials to gables. The George Street front is ungabled and has similar ranges of stone mullioned windows.

Courtyard similar, but with doors of apartments. North End gatehouse has a 4-centred archway with one window over on each floor and clock in gable. Gatehouse on east side of courtyard is similar but with a Georgian sash window on the first floor (with drip-mould raised in the centre and enclosing a mitre). Plain gable. The almshouses were extensively restored in 1860 by Butterfield, and the upper parts of the North End front and the chimneystacks date from this time. Interiors contain panelling.

Chapel in North East corner has 3-light Gothic window with traceried head given by a citizen of York in 1597 and panelling of 1640.

Listing NGR: TQ3233765605

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0686 IOE Records taken by David Evans; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David Evans. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Evans, David

Rights Holder: Evans, David

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Tile, Tudor Hospital, Elizabethan Religious Ritual And Funerary, Stuart Health And Welfare, Jacobean Almshouse, Domestic, Residential Building, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Gatehouse, Unassigned, Building