This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HORHAM THE STREET TM 27 SW 5/51 The Old Post Office and 21.7.82 The Ancient House GV II Originally one house, now 2 dwellings with attached shop. Circa 1600 with slightly later addition. Mid C20 shop to rear. Timber framed; plastered front with mid C20 applied timbers. To the left, against the road, a red brick parapet gable end, probably original. Set forward of this gable end is an early C17 red brick wing with remains of diaperwork; this addition has had much later repair. Both the brick sections are part of The Old Post Office.
Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. C19 and C20 casement windows with small panes. 2 mid C20 doors under a combined open porch with slated lean-to roof. Internal stack and a small stack to the right, both later insertions.
The brick gable end has a string course at eaves level. There are 2 blocked window openings, that to the first floor with traces of the original quoined stucco surround. Circular attic window with remains of brick dripstone above.
The original windows are not quite central to the apex of the gable. C19-C20 windows and doorways. Adjacent side wall of brick addition has a slightly altered 18-paned late C19 shop window. Modernised interior with plain studding. Roof not examined. Until early C20 a further range adjoined to the south east.
Listing NGR: TM2113972348
© Mr Barry Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Freeman2, Barry
Rights Holder: Freeman2, Barry
Brick, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Tudor Timber Framed House, Elizabethan Monument (By Form), Stuart Timber Framed Building, Jacobean House, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial