Church Of St Peter

Date:
13 Oct 1999
Location:
Church Of St Peter, The Street, Milton Lilbourne, Kennet, Wiltshire, SN9 5LQ
Reference:
IOE01/00456/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

MILTON LILBOURNE THE STREET SU 16 SE (west side) 6/52 Church of St. Peter 27.5.64 II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1875 by J.L.

Pearson. Flint and limestone, ashlar to tower. Lead and tiled roofs. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel, and west tower. South porch gabled, door with large mask terminals to a segmental hood, angel above. Nave south wall rebuilt 1875, square headed windows with two 2-light clerestory windows with monolithic heads. Two-light chancel windows and C19 three-light east window.

Tower, C15, 2 stage with angle buttresses and stair in south east corner. Low west door and window over. Two-light bell openings and crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles.

Interior: Nave has C13 four-bay arcade to north aisle, round columns and capitals, and some with spurred bases. Walls replastered in C19. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into C13 responds. Large tower arch. Roof open, probably C19. Chancel largely refitted in C19, three-bay arch-braced roof on carved head corbels. Mouldings under east window. Aisle has arched wall tomb, the chest missing but carved back and panelled soffit, and reset fragmentary encaustic tiles at floor level. Fittings: Font, under tower, octagonal bowl C19, on C13 five-columned base. Pulpit reconstructed with C17 carved boards. Readers desk similar. Pews all late C17 panelled work restored in C19. Vestry screen in aisle also contains C17 panelling. Organ late 019 in carved oak enclosure. Glass: Fragments of medieval glass in head of chancel south window. Brass: Unfixed in chancel, of 1705 to John Michell.

Monuments: Chancel; wall tablet, early C19, to Rev John Starkie Jackson, died 1822. In Nave; lead plaque, 1823 to Elizabeth Richmond Wells. Wall tablet to Lieut William Gale, died 1888, detailing his career. In Aisle; two wall tablets, white on red marble, to Gladys Stewart died 1903, by Lloyd of Bedwyn, and William Butcher, died 1821, by Reeves of Bath. Arms of 1782 over chancel arch, also paternoster, creed and commandment boards.

Furniture: Small mid C18 chest with 2 fielded panels. Caucasian runner, C19.

(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1899060444

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0955 IOE Records taken by B J W Heath; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Heath, B.J.W.

Rights Holder: Heath, B.J.W.

Keywords

Ashlar, Flint, Lead, Limestone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Coat Of Arms, Wall Monument, Anglican Church