This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ATWORTH BRADFORD ROAD ST 8665 (south side) 12/25 Atworth Primary School and School House GV II
Primary school and school house. Founded 1828 by Robert Hale of Cottles (q.v. Stonar School), enlarged 1876, 1882 and 1897.
Coursed rubble stone, stone slate roof with coped verges and diagonally-set ashlar stacks to front ranges, Welsh slate to rear ranges. Rambling L-plan. Two-storey, 2-window schoolhouse has pointed 4-panelled door to right with 2-light mullioned casement with arched lights and hoodmould left. First floor has two 2-light mullioned casements with arched lights. Parallel rear range with similar windows. Single-storey 1828 schoolroom attached to right has two 2-light mullioned windows with arched pivot-hung lights and hoodmould, double doors with hoodmould in lean-to porch to right, stone plaque with relief-carved crest of Hale family and date 1828 to gable. Long added rear range has four 2-light mullioned windows and arched door with hoodmould. Rear wing has similar windows.
Interior has blocked fireplaces, C19 doors, inserted ceilings.
Good example of village school and schoolhouse.
Listing NGR: ST8604265835
© Gill Cardy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cardy, Gill
Rights Holder: Cardy, Gill
Rubble, Stone, Welsh Slate, Georgian Elementary School, Education, School, School House, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument