Smallford Station

Date:
17 Oct 1999
Location:
Smallford Station, Colney Heath, St Albans, Hertfordshire
Reference:
IOE01/00480/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TL10NE COLNEY HEATH 270/10/10029 Smallford Station II Railway station, now office building. 1866, and built for the Great Northern Railway. Timber-framed with weatherboarded exterior, with a Welsh slated roof covering. Single storeyed structure with 2 plain doors and 2 4 over 4 pane sash windows with vertical glazing bars : D : W :D : W : on the road elevation. Hipped roof with an external brick stack on the left-hand gable and ridge stack at the right-hand end. The platform elevation has 2 doors and 3 windows as above. Interior not inspected. History: The station was opened as Springfield in February 1866 as a part of the GNR branch from Hatfield to St Albans. It was renamed Smallford on 1st October 1879 and closed on the 1st October 1951. A little-altered example of a small wayside station of timber-framed construction built by the Great Northern Railway in 1866, and now a rare survival of the building type. REF. Taylor R.D. and Anderson B, Hatfield and St Albans Branch of the G .N .R. Oakwood Press, 1988 pps. 18-21.



Listing NGR: TL1974007206

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0723 IOE Records taken by David Fletcher; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David Fletcher. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Fletcher, David

Rights Holder: Fletcher, David

Keywords

Timber, Weatherboard, Welsh Slate, Victorian Timber Framed Building, Monument (By Form), Railway Station, Transport, Railway Transport Site, Office, Unassigned, Building