Church Of All Saints
- 12 Oct 1999
- Church Of All Saints, Church Lane, Theydon Garnon, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16 7NX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 49 NE THEYDON GARNON CHURCH LANE 6/326 Church of All 20/2/67 Saints GV I Parish Church. C13, C15 and C16 with later additions and alterations. Flint rubble with plastered East wall. Red brick c1520 West Tower, c1644 North Aisle and North Porch. C19 North Vestry and Organ Chamber. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate pierced ridged tiles. Chancel probably built C13. The Nave has C13 remnant roofing and C15 details. C18 South porch, with red tiled gabled roof on brick plinth with timber supports and C15 Doorway. Chancel East window early C15, four cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery above in two-centre head with moulded jambs and labels. A small cusped trefoil light above. Brick buttresses to each corner and to North and South walls. N. wall with C17 window of 2 pointed lights with moulding and label. C20 doorway to W of this window.
S wall, C13 lancet and one similar to that in N wall. Between these windows is a C15 doorway with a 4 centred arch in a square head with quatrefoiled spandrels. Roof of 7 cants, boarded and ribbed with bosses. Nave with 2 dormer windows, has a timber arcade of 5 bays, with octagonal oak columns, semi- octagonal responds, stop chamfered bases and moulded capitals circa 1644. The arches are roughly 3 centred or semi-circular, with a moulded fascia above, mitred in the centre to form a key block. South wall has 2 windows, C15 3 lights in segmental pointed head with moulded label and shield stops of the arms of Garnon, "three piles wavy." 2 light C20 window. Between the windows is a C15 doorway with moulded jamb and 2 centred-arch under a square moulded label with traceried spandrels. The roof, C13 of eleven scissor braced couples at the west end, c1300-1350 the eastern bays were renewed and the 5 crossquadrate 4 arm crown posts and collar purlins were fitted. Moulded wall plates, wall recesses with arched braces, plain tie beams. (C.A. Hewett - CHURCH CARPENTRY 1974). The c1644 North Aisle of red brick with moulded plinth and a corbel table under the eaves with small brackets. East gable with a sunk panel with the date 1644 and west gable with similar panel inscribed I.H. under which is a C20 lancet window with moulded label. In the N wall are 3, C20 3 light windows under flat heads with moulded labels. Between the two western windows is a c1644 doorway with C20 semi-circular head and a moulded arch frame, with fleur- de-lis stops. North Porch c1644 of red brick and red tiled, restored C18. C20 windows to each wall. West Tower c1520 of red brick of 3 stages, crenellated with angled buttresses. Tower arch with plain chamfered responds and a four centred arch of 4 chamfered orders. C18 west doorway above which is a C17 stone, 3 light window with 2 pointed heads under a moulded segmental label.
There is a segmental reveal arch above. Bell chamber with brick 2 light openings under 4 centre heads. North and South walls at second stage with 4- centre headed windows. Stair tower is four angled at NE corner of Tower and rises above the crenellations with moulded coping. Treads and newel of brick, small light to each stage. On the South wall, externally is a stone panel inscribed "SYR JOHN CROSBE KNYGHYT late alderman and grosar of LONDON and ....
of dame ANNE and ANNES his wyfis of whos godys was gevyn Lli (50) toward the makying of this stepyll ... ano dm 1520". Prayers for their souls have been chiselled out and above are 2 shields of the Crosby arms a chevron ermine between 3 rams and the Grocers Company. This inscription is now very worn. On the SE buttress is a scratch dial and above it a larger Sundial. Fittings & Monuments. Above S door 4 Bequest Boards recording ancient Charities. 6 Hatchments. Pulpit C18 with attached readers desk and finely detailed hexagonal sounding board. Twisted balusters to stairs. Altar Tomb in North wall of Chancel, at back of recess is a brass of a kneeling man, his wife, 2 sons and 3 daughters with indents of 2 inscription plates, 2 shields, a Trinity and another group. In South Chancel wall is another similar Tomb with indents for brasses.
Memorial Tablet to Lady Anne Fitzwilliam 1602 directing the Almshouses to be erected in this Parish for 4 poor widows and giving them 12 pence a week.
Memorial, Sir John Archer 1682, and another to William Eyre Archer 1739. Brass to William Kynlneby, Rector of Theydon Garnon 1442-1458. Communion Rails C1683- 4 set up at a cost of 4. C16 Wooden Altar Table and C17 carved chairs. Oak Chest crossed with nailed iron bands and with claw feet c1668. C19 Tub Font on a stem. Oak Door adapted as a bookcase, near the Tower Arch, from the medieval priests house which stood in the Churchyard, west of the Tower until 1924. Above this is a stone memorial to Denton Nicholas M.D. 1714.
Listing NGR: TQ4718399379
© Mr Ian Rogers. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Rogers, Ian
Rights Holder: Rogers, Ian
Brick, Flint, Plaster, Rubble, Tile, Timber, Medieval Priests House, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument