- 4 Dec 2001
- 50 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 1LY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO9422SE PROMENADE 630-1/13/738 (South East side) 05/05/72 No.50
House now shop. c1820-40 with conversion to shop probably pre-1845 and later alterations including c1980s ground-floor shop front. Stucco over brick with concealed roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Central breakforward. Stucco detailing includes horizontal rustication to first floor; voussoirs over windows. 4/4 sashes in plain reveals and with sills. Wide eaves and central broken segmental pediment on corbel brackets and with swags. Glazed shop front with central entrance. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant houses', by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide (published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business establishments'. (The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).
Listing NGR: SO9484722344
© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Freeman, Lorna
Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna
Brick, Stucco, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial