74 And 76 Promenade / 74, 76 And 78 Promenade

Date:
4 Dec 2001
Location:
74 And 76 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 1NB
Show all locations
74, 76 And 78 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 1NB
Reference:
IOE01/02136/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CHELTENHAM

SO9422SE PROMENADE 630-1/13/743 (South East side) 05/05/72 Nos.74 AND 76 (Formerly Listed as: PROMENADE (South East side) Nos.74, 76 AND 78)

GV II

House, now 2 shops. c1820-40; with later additions and alterations including conversion to shops probably pre-1845; c1980-90 ground-floor shop front; c1980s rear range to right.

Ashlar over brick with slate mansard roof and end brick stack.

Double-depth plan with 2-storey service range to rear at left.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics, 3 first-floor windows. Ashlar detailing: first floor has tooled first-floor sill band interrupted by paired Doric pilasters to each end and single pilaster between windows. First floor cornice below outer windows. Crowning entablature and blocking course; right end copings. To left a 1/1 sash interrupts cornice, central 6/6 sash and 8/8 sash to right, all with sills. Attic dormers to mansard have 3/3 sashes. Ground floor: 2 glazed shop fronts and glazed doors. Rear retains 6/6, 4/4 and 2/2 sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)). By 1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide (published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business establishments'. (Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12-14; The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146).



Listing NGR: SO9481022284

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0750 IOE Records taken by Lorna Freeman; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Freeman, Lorna

Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial

Back
to top