Church Of St Mary
- 8 Jun 2000
- Church Of St Mary, Church Lane, Wigston Parva, Blaby, Leicestershire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WIGSTON PARVA CHURCH LANE SP 48 NE (east side)
5/53 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C16, restored 1845 and c.l900.
Random rubble, cobbles and dressed stone with stone dressings and plain tile roof. Brick and stone plinth. Nave and chancel under continuous roof. West end has a central double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould with mask stops. Above, a square wooden bellcote with cusped openings, leaded tent roof and cross. North side has to west a chamfered round headed C11 doorway with hood mould and imposts. C19 close boarded door. East end has a C14 double lancet with Y tracery. South side has a central single lancet, C19, with hood mould, and to its right, a similar lancet.
To east, a C13 single lancet. Interior has a panelled dado to north side and west end. Roof has 2 principal rafter trusses, C16, with cambered tie beams, that to west with a boss. Both have V struts and collars. East end has a stained glass window, 1965. Fittings include an octagonal font removed from Hemingford, Hunts., c.1900, an oak altar with C13 style arcading, c.1909, panelled reredos, C19 rectangular skeleton pulpit with 2 book rests, a double round headed framed board with Creed, and 2 similar round headed commandment boards.
Listing NGR: SP4661089782
© Mr Brian Arnold. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Arnold, Brian
Rights Holder: Arnold, Brian
Brick, Cobble, Lead, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship