Dyrham Park / Dyrham Park Country Club And Stable Block

Date:
30 Oct 1999
Location:
Dyrham Park, Potters Bar, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire
Show all locations
Dyrham Park Country Club And Stable Block, Potters Bar, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire
Reference:
IOE01/02145/29
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR DYRHAM PARK Barnet

8/204 Dyrham Park 20.5.49 Country Club and Stable Block (formerly listed as Dyrham Park under General)

- II

Country House, now Country Club. c.1800-10 rebuilding of earlier house, extended. Extensively remodelled early C20 for John Trotter. Stuccoed brick, slate hipped roof. Large Neo-classical villa. 2 storeys and attic. Main front: 7 bays 2:3:2. Heavy tetrastyle Tuscan portico to centre with oculus in deep eaved projecting pediment. Pilasters where portico meets front wall. Continuous plinth. Central entrance: glazed door with scrolled brackets. Dentils and mutules to architrave. Ground floor glazing bar sashes and first floor casements in deep reveals with moulded architraves. Continuous plat band at first floor sill level.

Guttae protrude below plat band. Shallow pitch to deep eaved roof. Cement rendered stacks. Left return: 9 bays, central 3 bays project slightly under similar pediment. Ground floor French windows with 3 glazing bar sashes to right. Similar architraves but no guttae. Garden front: 7 bays with full height semi-circular 3 bay bow window to centre.

Cast-iron balcony to left hand first floor window. To right from front: 5 bay painted brick extension of same height, set back slightly. 16-pane glazing bar sashes under rubbed brick heads. Hood over central entrance with panelled door. 5 sashed dormers with cambered tops. Deep eaves to front, coped parapet to right. Two further single storey extensions to right, that to front of painted brick with sashes and a hood over an entrance bay. Linked to these extensions is the C19 stable block, also brick and slate roofed. Inner yard has round arched openings. Deep eaves and low pitch to roof similar to house. 3 cubic roof lights. Wing to N has been converted and stuccoed. Interior: Entrance hall to central staircase hall of c.1830-40 with a passage to left and dog-leg stair at far end. Upper level of hall has Ionic pilasters with a gallery over passage to left. Early to mid C18 secondary stair at front to right of entrance with turned balusters and moulded and ramped handrail. (VCH Middlesex 1976, RCHM Typescript, Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ2247098491

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1182 IOE Records taken by Sam Klok; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Sam Klok. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Klok, Sam

Rights Holder: Klok, Sam

Keywords

Brick, Cast Iron, Slate, Stucco, Georgian Villa, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Counting House, Stable, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Country Club, Recreational, Club, Monument <By Form>, Yard, Unassigned

Back
to top