1 And 2 Providence Place
- 22 Aug 2000
- 1 And 2 Providence Place, Thelbridge, Mid Devon, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THELBRIDGE SS 81 SW 3/252 Nos 1 and 2 Providence Place - - II
Pair of semi-detached houses. Probably 1843. Plastered rubble; rubble stacks topped with C19 brick; turnerised slate roof. Pair of contemporary double depth plan houses facing west with central entrance hall and stair between flanking front and rear rooms. Gable end stacks and central axial stack serving both houses. No.1 to left (north) and No.2 to right (south). 2 storeys with half-basements and attics in roofspace. Overall 6-window front was originally symmetrical, now slightly unbalanced by late C19 minor alterations. Each house has 3-window front. Each has central door, gained by flight of stone steps and individual tented roof verandahs raised over basements. Eaves throughout on series of shaped timber brackets.
Original cast iron rainwater head and drainpipe between houses. Gable-ended block.
No.1 on left has original 12-pane sashes to first floor. On ground floor centre is original 6-panel door and overlight with glazing bars with late C19 canted bay window with full height glazed sides including front opening French windows all with glazing bars and margin panes fitted with blue, red and orange glass to left of door, and to right of door late C19 square-cornered bay window with glazing bars and green coloured glass in margin panes. 3-bay verandah is supported on plain timber posts with timber rail and wooden trellis infill. Lead crestwork vallance to tented roof, now of corrugated iron. Late C19-early C20 casements to half-basement. No.2 has better-preserved original frontage. Original 12-pane sashes to first floor have stucco keystones over embrasures and centre is a blind panel with painted glazing.
Similar 6-panel door and overlight with glazing bars flanked by original 12-pane sashes. Its 3-bay verandah is supported by slender iron columns set in the ground and used to support verandah floor and has cast iron openwork spandrels. Tented roof now of corrugated iron. Basement has 2 casement windows with glazing bars and are protected by vertical iron bars. Both houses have round-headed sashes in end gables to light attics. They have glazing bars with a gothic pattern in upper sashes.
Interiors contain much original joinery and plasterwork.
Pair of attractive houses on outskirts of Witheridge. Owners' deeds back to 1843, probably date of erection.
Listing NGR: SS8071213983
© Michael Woodhead. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Plaster, Rubble, Slate, Victorian Semi Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling