Church Of Holy Trinity
- 18 Feb 2001
- Church Of Holy Trinity, Church Bank, Sunderland, Tyne And Wear, SR5 1EB
- Photograph (Digital)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ3858 CHURCH BANK, Southwick 920-1/8/283 (West side) 10/11/78 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1842. By George L Jackson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Nave with west tower, chancel with north vestry. Early English style, with lancets and clasping buttresses. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave with narrow chancel. Chancel has 3 south lights; stepped east lights with cinquefoils in spandrels. 4-bay nave with head and ballflower stops to hoodmould of paired lancets on sill string. Tower, with buttresses reducing to angle buttresses on upper stages, has ballflower-stopped hoodmould over pointed-arched west door; lancet in second stage; roundel in third; arcaded triple lancets in fourth, the outer arches blind, under parapet with corner pinnacles. High-pitched nave and chancel roofs. Vestry roof has hipped east end. INTERIOR: chancel with N vestry; nave with W gallery and W tower porch. Chamfered chancel arch on imposts with dog-tooth and roll mouldings. E window has nailhead-moulded rerearch on nookshafts; trefoil shafts between lancets. All windows have sloping reveals. Chancel has shouldered arch to vestry door; geometric-pattern tiled sanctuary floor. Painted stone altar with paintings of Evangelists in cusped panels. Renewed pulpit and communion rail (using older posts). Arch-braced chancel roof and queen-post nave roof on roll-moulded corbels. STAINED GLASS: E window to Scott family d.1864 and 1882; Chancel south: 3 lights to Agnes Collingwood d.1875, and Sarah Thompson d.1866, with Christ the Good Shepherd, Faith and Hope, signed Alex Gibbs, 21 Bloomsbury Sreet, London WC. Nave SE window also signed Alex Gibbs fecit, 1901, to Collingwood, rector, d.1898. Other C19 glass in nave includes fourth on north side a Good Samaritan commemorating Charles Pickersgill, Crown Road shipbuilding yard owner. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 28).
Listing NGR: NZ3818758565
© Mr David E Sandersfield. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Sandersfield, David E
Rights Holder: Sandersfield, David E
Ashlar, Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Georgian Commemorative Monument, Victorian Commemorative, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship