Church Of St Peter
- 3 Sep 1999
- Church Of St Peter, Station Road, Chepping Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP10 9TJ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHEPPING WYCOMBE STATION ROAD SU 99 SW (LOUDWATER) 3/22 Church of St. Peter - - II Parish church, formerly chapel of ease. Nave is 1788-90, with S. projection added 1804, N. projection 1835, chancel and vestries 1901-3 by G.H.
Fellowes Prynne, and C20 W. porch. Older parts are of red and vitreous brick with slate roofs; chancel and vestries are of red brick with stone dressings and tiled roof W. end of nave has gabled brick porch. N. and S. sides have projections, each with 2 hipped roof spurs and 3-bay fenestration.
Semi-circular arched windows with lunettes above, all leaded. N. projection has gauged window arches, moulded brick eaves and 2 C20 brick buttresses; S. projection has dentil eaves and ungauged arches. Chancel is in Perpendicular style with cusped lancets to N. and S., and 5-light traceried E. window with 4-centred arch. Stone hoodmoulds with carved foliage stops.
Vestries in similar style with traceried windows, the N. vestry now used as chapel. Interior: N., S., and W., sides of nave have 2-storey wooden colonnades and galleries with panelled balustrades. Doric columns.
Plaster ceiling cornice with acanthus, rosette and modillion ornament.
Triple chamfered chancel arch, segmental arches to N. and S. vestries. Low pierced stone screen to chancel.
(Home Counties Magazine, Vol. III, 1901)
Listing NGR: SU9001990486
© Mr John R Powell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Powell, John R
Rights Holder: Powell, John R
Brick, Slate, Stone, Tile, Georgian Chapel Of Ease, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Church