Church Of St Botolph
- 9 Sep 1999
- Church Of St Botolph, Bradenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14 4HF
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRADENHAM BRADENHAM VILLAGE SU 89 NW
3/69 Church of St. Botolph
Parish church. Nave originally c.1100, with C15-early C16 W. tower; N. chapel added 1542 by William, second Lord Windsor; chancel rebuilt 1863-5 by G.E. Street; C19 S. porch. Flint with stone dressings, the N. chapel rendered. W. tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet, paired lights with 4-centred heads to bell-chamber, and similar single light to S. side. W. side has 3-light Perpendicular window over moulded doorway with depressed arch and Tudor hoodmould.
Canted stair projection on N. side. Nave has 2 bays of C14-C15 2-light traceried windows, very much restored. Romanesque S. doorway with inner and outer roll-mouldings, flanking half-columns, blind tympanum, and lintel with diaper and cable ornament. Chancel has traceried windows, one 2-light to S. and 3-light to E. N. chapel has W. door with moulded 4-centred arch, terracotta panel with stag's head, partly blocked entry to crypt, and windows with 4-centred heads, 2 2-light to N., 3-light to E.
Interior has wide unmoulded arch to tower and C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. C19 piscina, sedilia and arches to N. chapel. 1742 altar, early C20 communion rails by Canon Vernon Staley, C20 screen and rood. Some C16-C17 heraldic glass in N. chapel, 1887 Jubilee window in tower. Other fittings C19 and C20. Black and white marble monument with caryatids in N. chapel, in memory of Charles West, 1684, attributed to William Kidwell.
RCHM I.p.61-62. Records of Bucks XV p.34.
Listing NGR: SU8283497126
© Mr John R Powell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Powell, John R
Rights Holder: Powell, John R
Flint, Render, Stone, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative