Church Of St Mary
- 17 Oct 1999
- Church Of St Mary, Shackleford Road, Shackleford, Guildford, Surrey, GU8 6AE
- Photograph (Digital)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 94 SW SHACKLEFORD CP SHACKLEFORD ROAD
7/136 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1865. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Snecked Bargate sandstone with ashlar dressings, timber framed porch and plain tiled roofs with wooden shingled broach spire to centre. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower. Large church in Early English style with lancet openings to tower, louvred and joined by hood mouldings, zig-zag mouldings to eaves. Octagonal stair turret to south east corner of tower. Clerestoried nave with pentice roofed aisles, quatrefoil clerestory windows, four to each side. Two-light windows to isles with foliage capitals to mullions.
Buttressed west end with three large lancets to nave, one west window to each isle. Roundel window in nave gable. Apsidal chancel with corbelled eaves and five lancet windows with foliage capitals to mullions. Planked doors to west end with strapwork hinges flanked by arched panels and double order to jamb shafts. Heavy gabled timber framed porch to south with cusped bargeboards and cambered tie beam to crown post roof. Dog- tooth moulding around entrance arch of porch. Doubled south doors in stone dress, dog-tooth surround with jamb shafts.
Interior: stone and plaster. C19 fittings.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) page 451.
Listing NGR: SU9406744856
© Mr Richard Down. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Down, Richard
Rights Holder: Down, Richard
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Timber, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship