Church Of St Peter And St Paul
- 5 Aug 2000
- Church Of St Peter And St Paul, Church Road, Bergh Apton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15 1BT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BERGH APTON CHURCH ROAD, South TM 39 NW side Church of S.S. Peter 5/17 & Paul 5.9.60 - II*
Parish church. Some fabric of C14 and C15, but the church much rebuilt and restored c1837 by John Brown of Norwich. Flint, partly rendered and ashlared, with limestone and brick dressings; slated roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches, north and south transepts. Fabric of west tower largely medieval with staged diagonal western buttresses.
Plain louvred bell openings with stone chamfered reveals and pointed arches.
Embattled parapet of chequerwork brick and flint, brick corner finials and roll-top copings. 2-light west window, late C14. C19 south porch with 2-light windows to east and west with square heads and drip moulds. Ogee headed niche with figure of Christ over entrance arch; gable parapet with cross finial. South nave windows of 2 lights with 'Y' tracery. Gabled south transept with 3-light south window with intersecting tracery. On the east wall of the transept two memorial slabs to Edward Bound d.1801 and his wife Elizabeth d.1799 and to Elizabeth Bound d.1792. South wall of chancel has one plain semi-circular headed window to the west and a central priests' door set in a small gabled projection. Coped gable parapets to east wall and at junction of nave and chancel. Shallow pilaster- buttresses to east gable wall. Large single-light east window with semi- circular head and continuous roll moulding. Small niche above east window.
Two semi-circular headed windows on north side of chancel; north transept as south, with 3-light north window with intersected tracery. Two 2-light north nave windows with 'Y' tracery. North porch now a vestry with parapeted flat roofed extension to west. South doorway with hood mould on head stops; head caving at arch apex, C14 but possibly rebuilt. C19 nave roof of arch-braced principals on short wallposts. Plain boarded ceiling. Diagonal ribs at crossing with central pendant. Early C19 west gallery with solid balustrade with traceried panels. Chancel arch with continuous mouldings. Chancel roof of arch braced and roll-moulded principals and purlins, all painted, with wallposts on consoles. Plastered chancel ceiling. Wall monument to Elizabeth French d.1731; C18 and C19 floor slabs in nave and chancel. Good C15 octagonal font, around the bowl figures of angels alternate with the signs of the evangelists; the corbels supporting the bowl carved with angels with outspread wings; around the stem four lions and four standing figures.
Listing NGR: TM3105299895
© Mr E.M Trendell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Trendell, E.M
Rights Holder: Trendell, E.M
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Limestone, Render, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument