Church Of St Cuthbert
- 4 Oct 1999
- Church Of St Cuthbert, Clungunford, South Shropshire, Shropshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CLUNGUNFORD C.P. CLUNGUNFORD SO 37 NE 8/118 Church of St. Cuthbert 21.3.68 GV II*
Parish Church. Circa 1300, restored 1895 and north-west tower added by E.Turner of Leicester. Coursed and squared limestone and sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; plain tile roofs. North- west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel.
Tower: 4 stages on basement, with angle buttresses, stepped plinth, belfry string and crenellated parapet. The first stage has a 3-light pointed window to the north with intersecting tracery, and windows to the east and west with 2 pointed lights and a circle in the head.
Above these are lancets. Pointed belfry lights with Y-tracery flanked by blind lancet arcading. Nave and chancel. Pointed west door and 3-light pointed window above; the outer lights are acutely pointed, the inner light simply extends up to the soffit of the main arch.
Pointed windows to north and south each of 2-cinquefoil headed lights with a circle in the head containing a saltire cross, each of the four compartments contains a trefoil. South porch of 1895. Gabled timber framed superstructure. South door of circa 1300. North chapel has paired lancets to north and west. East window similar to west window of nave. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with 2 seqment-moulded orders.
Nave and chancel roofs reported to be C14 but are hidden by boarded ceilings of seqmental pointed section. Windows of nave and chancel have segmental pointed rere-arches. Priscina with trefoiled-arch recessed beneath 2 sunk chamfered orders and a returned hood mould. Behind the altar are 2 retangular aumbries rebated for doors. Fittings.
Mid-C19Wenlock marble font, octagonal. Late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit.
Stalls incorporate fragments of C17 woodwork. Hinged oak chest, probably C16. Sculpture. In the south-east corner of the nave is a C14 stone tablet carved with an heraldic badge, comprising a beast carrying a banner. Monuments. Francis Walker, died 1776; elaborate marble tablet with obelisk and urn. John Edwards, died 1724; aedicular tablet with broken pediment containing coat of arms, angel head at base. Brasses: William Freeman, died 1671. Susanna Evans, died 1767 with wooden lugged frame. Olivia and The Reverend Thomas Evans, died 1761 and 1762, wood aedicular surround with Corinthian pilasters and scrolled pediment with urn in centre, volutes to sides. Blanch Pryce, died 1758, lugged and pedimented surround. Stained glass. East window of area 1891.
North-east window of nave, 1949. B.o.E. p. 110. The Reverend D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, part 5 (1901), pp. 389-394.
Listing NGR: SO3948778733
© David Thompson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Thompson, David
Rights Holder: Thompson, David
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Monument <By Form>, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Coat Of Arms, Plaque, Obelisk, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament