Church Of St Botolph
- 14 Aug 2000
- Church Of St Botolph, Mill Lane, Burton Hastings, Rugby, Warwickshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BURTON HASTINGS MILL LANE SP48NW (North side) 4/8 Church of St. Botolph 06/10/60 - II*
Church. C14 chancel and parts of tower. Early Cl6 nave. Tower rebuilt Clb.
Restored c.1867. C19/C20 porch. Coursed squared sandstone, with chancel east wall and tower of ashlar. Plain-tile roofs; chancel and north side of nave have moulded cornice and parapet, and cross finial; tower and south side of nave have moulded embattled parapets and cornices. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Mostly Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Splayed and moulded plinths throughout. Chancel and nave have diagonal east buttresses of 2 offsets. Chancel has C19 three-light east window; old hood mould has remains of stops. North side has straight-headed 2-light window with trefoiled lights and sunk spandrels. Similar south-west single light. Straight-headed 2-light south-east window has reticulated tracery. South porch has ashlar base and upper part of timber, with Tudor-arch entrance and traceried openings. Simple moulded doorway inside has C19 double-leaf doors. Slate sundial dated 1867 above porch.
3-light south-east and north-east windows have mullions, lancets and tracery.
South buttress. North side has traces of blocked door. North-west buttress.
Tower of 2 stages, with splay course between. High first stage has diagonal west buttresses of 4 offsets. Restored 3-light west window has deep splayed jambs and hood mould. Second stage has 2-light openings with simple tracery. Pinnacles.
Interior: chancel has small south-east piscina. East wall has small aumbry in north corner. C19 boarded barrel roof has moulded segmental arched braces, moulded ridge, purlins and ribs, carved bosses, half-octagonal wall posts and stone shield corbels. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer segmental pointed, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has splayed north-east angle with renewed moulded Tudor arch doorway and plank door to former rood-loft stair, and similar doorway above and to right. Simple broad-chamfered Tudor arch to tower. C19 Perpendicular roof. Fittings: font of c.1300, but partly renewed, is octagonal with blind trefoiled arcading, rosettes and fleurs-de-lys, on round base. C19 lid. Chancel arch has hooks for Lentern veil. Remains of painted Royal arms below tower. Charities board dated 1819 above blocked north door. Old iron bound chest. Pulpit dated 1920.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.59-6l; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.222; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4098489906
© Mr J.N. Davies. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Davies, J.N.
Rights Holder: Davies, J.N.
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship