Ruins Of St Leonard's Hospital
- 11 Aug 1999
- Ruins Of St Leonard's Hospital, A1068, Denwick, Alnwick, Northumberland
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
DENWICK A 1068 NU 11 SE (West side) 10/32 Ruins of St.
Leonard's Hospital 31.12.69 II
Hospital ruins, c.1200 re-erected c.1845 by F.R. Wilson. Squared stone and rubble with cut dressings. Hall with narrower chapel to east and other buildings (now grassed-over foundations) on south. Part of south wall of hall stands with round-arched doorway showing continuous chevron moulding, and indented hood; north jamb and a few moulded voussoirs of hall/chapel arch.
Hospital founded between 1193 and 1216 by Eustace de Vescy; annexed to Alnwick Abbey 1376. Buried remains rediscovered when the field was ploughed in 1845, and re-erected on original footings.
SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT
Listing NGR: NU1880214382
© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rubble, Stone, Medieval Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Chapel, Place Of Worship