Church Of St Michael
- 23 Aug 1999
- Church Of St Michael, Longhoughton, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 3LB
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NU 2417 LONGHOUGHTON HOWICK HALL
16/125 Church of St. Michael 31.12.69 GV II
Parish Church. 1746, remodelled with extension of nave one bay to east and addition of chancel and vestry 1849 by F.J. Francis. Tooled-and-margined ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings; synthetic stone slate roof. Five-bay aisleless nave with chancel and south vestry. 1746 building Classical, remodelled in Romanesque style.
Nave has moulded plinth and sill bands, impost bands on side walls and shafted angle pilasters. West end has central boarded door, with studded margin and ornate C-hinges, under round arch of 4 moulded orders; 3 orders of jamb shafts with carved capitals. World War I memorial tablet on right of door. 2 windows above, with double-shafted jambs, and wheel window under round-arched bellcote with finial cross. Side walls of nave have windows with double- shafted jambs carrying moulded inner orders and C18 pilasters carrrying outer order with zigzag. Eaves cornice on corbels, carved on north but unfinished on south. Coincident joints in plinth and bands mark the 1849 extension.
Chancel has chamfered plinth, moulded sill string and shafted angles. East end has three equal-height windows, with double-shafted jambs, and trefoiled round window above. Lower vestry on south shows two-light south window and moulded boiler-room door on east. On north of chancel a moulded priest's door, and window with foliage-carved caps to jamb shafts. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; finial crosses.
Interior plastered. Moulded chancel arch on detached shafts with carved bases, shaft rings and foliage-carved caps. All windows have shafted inner jambs with carved caps. Carved cornice in chancel. Nave has collar-beam roof with braces on moulded stone corbels; scissor-brace chancel roof. Ornate C19 Romanesque font.
Monuments. Charles, second Earl Grey d.1845, in nave (originally in chancel); white marble table tomb with inlaid brass foliate cross and enamelled shields, designed by John Francis and carved by J. Bedford. On south of sanctuary carved Grey arms in cusped panel are part of former canopy to this monument.
C17 Grey ledger stones in sanctuary.
Listing NGR: NU2485317398
© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Tudor Gravestone, Elizabethan Religious Ritual And Funerary, Stuart Grave Marker, Jacobean Funerary Site, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, War Memorial