St John's Hospital / St John's Hospital Chapel

Date:
5 Sep 1999
Location:
St John's Hospital, St John's Square, Wilton, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 0DN
Show all locations
St John's Hospital Chapel, 3 St John's Square, Wilton, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 0DN
Reference:
IOE01/02192/17
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1.

5409 ST JOHN'S SQUARE No 3 (St John's Hospital Chapel) (formerly listed as St John's Hospital) SU 0931 5/29 4.8.51.

II* GV 2.

Part of the St John's Hospital Complex. See also Nos 4, 5, 8, 10 and 12 St John's Square (qv). 1st documentary evidence comes in 1195 and a chapel is said to have been dedicated in 1217. (Evidently refers to No 4 qv).

No 3 forms a 'T' plan extension to Nos 4 and 5. Judging by its east window of 3 lights it dates from circa 1300. It was converted into a cottage in the C18 and restored in 1868. Flint and ashlar chequerwork. Tiled roof with fishscale band. Coped gable with unusual saddlestone to east. Mid C19 belfry on ashlar and flint chequed gable end. To north are two 2-light probably late C14 windows, the left hand window with quatrefoil over; the right hand window with elongated quatrefoil above. South side has a 2-light ogee window with elongated upright quatrefoil. Traces of 2 possibly C12 wall buttresses. Moulded 4 centred arch headed doorway to left with restored tracery panels. Interior plain with curved braces to trusses.

Listing NGR: SU0941331440

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1666 IOE Records taken by Peter Read; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter Read. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Read, Peter

Rights Holder: Read, Peter

Keywords

Ashlar, Flint, Tile, Medieval Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Bell Tower, Hospital, Health And Welfare

Back
to top