- 2 Sep 1999
- Fire Station, Queens Road, Merton, Greater London
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON QUEEN'S ROAD TQ 2470 (north side) 8/112 Fire Station 14.1.86
- II Former Fire Station. Dated 1904 by Charles Hanlet Cooper, Surveyor to Wimbledon Urban District Council. Red brick stone bands pitched slate roof to parapet. Left 3 bays of 3 storeys, right hand pair of bays of 2 storeys plus dormers. Ground floor with archway to left and square headed engine doors to other bays with panelled timber doors. Second bay from left with full height segmental bay window with mullioned lights, rising to tower with conical roof topped by cupola with copper tented roof. First floor windows to three right bays. Segmental headed with prominent stone voussoirs. Mullions, some transoms, sashes, glazing bars to upper lights. Stone dentil cornice above second floor. Parapet with gablets to first and third bays from left. Cast iron 3rd floor window guards.
Tall chimneys to end gables.
Listing NGR: TQ2497870684
© Mr Christopher Strevens. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Strevens, Christopher
Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Fire Station, Civil, Transport