St Lukes Church
- 7 Sep 1999
- St Lukes Church, Ryfold Road, Merton, Greater London
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 27 SE RYFOLD ROAD (Southside), Wimbledon Park
1329/2/10028 St Luke's Church II
Church, 1909 by T.G. Jackson. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs, timber-framed porch. Nave, almost continuous chancel, north and south aisles, south transept, north-west tower, western narthex. Nave in four and a half bays, almost continuous chancel in two unequal bays, aisle of five bays, demarcated by stepped buttresses, angle buttresses at corners. Paired rectangular aisle windows with stone mullions, cills and moulded arches, moulded brick reveals, beneath segmental brick arches. Plain rectangular leaded lights, some with iron hoppers. Dog-tooth cornice. Timber- framed porch on brick plinth, shaped bargeboards, slate roof. Later C20 inserted partition and outer doors. Inner pair of pine doors with iron door furniture, in chamfered brick reveals, under segmental moulded brick arch. East nave window of three lights with stone tracery and moulded stone hood. Clerestorey of simple three -light windows with stone cills and mullions, moulded brick arches. Chancel more elaborately treated with pair of two-light windows with stone Perpendicular tracery; tall easternmost window with stone mullions, transoms and tracery; stepped corner buttresses just set back. East window , derivative of the work of Seddon, seven lights, Decorated tracery but with pair of strongly defined super- mullions. Chequer work brickwork below. Stone gable cross. Pair of tablets: the stained glasss in memory of those who died in the Great War, 1914-1919; memorial stone laid May 1st 1909 on behalf of Emanuel Church, Wimbledon. West front dominated by tower at north -west angle, rising from narthex, which continues from the aisles wrapping the corners, with hipped slate roofs. Three identical entrances, detailed as porch entrance, and with chamfered brick fillet rising from the reveal to the dog-tooth cornice; stepped buttresses at corners and defining west front, as for aisles. Octagonal tower rises from square base, with stone offsets; simple rectangular lights at lower three stages, diminishing as they rise, louvred ringing chamber openings with foiled heads, small rectangular openings above moulded stone band, leaded spire. Simple two- light mullion and transom west window with stone dressings, stone gable cross. INTERIOR. Lofty interior with four and a half bay arcade of lozenge plan stone piers with brick moulded arches; slender canted brick shaft rising from each pier carries alternate roof truss on stone corbel, continuing in stone at springing of shallow brick blind clerestorey arcade . Slim horizontal moulded brick band at clerestorey level. Continuous nave and chancel barrel vaulted roof with curved ribs above king post trusses, the chancel arch defined by slender braces; West end gallery in timber on square timber piers on stone bases. Chancel slightly stepped in, panelling with organ loft 1909, organ installed c1930, reredos and sanctuary panelling completed 1925. Seating of 1909. Pulpit with tester, a truncated octagonal moulded stone base with steps to timber superstructure with traceried panels, timber tester embelished with floral emblems and drop finials. North aisle terminates in 2 bay arcade leading to St Margaret chapel; to south pair of unequal door openings under segmental brick arch. Brass eagle lectern. Octagonal stone font with foliated upper panels, timber cover, plain stone base. Nave seating post World War Two, none previously installed.
Cherry and Pevsner, Buildings of England: London 2: South (1994) Featherstone,W., Sharing Faith. St. Luke's and Wimbledon Park 1909-1989
Listing NGR: TQ2532072321
© Mr Christopher Strevens. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Strevens, Christopher
Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, War Memorial