Church Of Saint Peter And Saint Paul

Date:
28 Jun 2000
Location:
Church Of Saint Peter And Saint Paul, Church Street, Little Gransden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19 3DU
Reference:
IOE01/02199/27
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LITTLE GRANSDEN CHURCH STREET TL 25NE (East side) 1/107 Church of Ss Peter 22.11.67 Paul

GV II*

Parish church. Mid C13 and C14. Restored 1858 and 1885-8. Carstone and rubble and fieldstone with clunch and limestone dressings. Slate and tiled roofs. West tower, nave and north and south aisles, north porch and chancel.

West tower, C14-C15. Four stages with four stage diagonal buttressing with cusping to gables of two upper stages. Embattled parapet with main cornice having grotesque gargoyles to the corners. Newel staircase in south west corner. West doorway in two centred, continuous moulded arch in square head with restored dagger tracery to the spandrels and return label. West window of three cinquefoil lights in two centred continuous moulded arch with vertical tracery to the head. Bell stage has on each side an opening of two cinquefoil lights in two centred hollow moulded arch with label. Nave, C13, and clerestory added C14-C15. Four windows to each side with repaired lintels and tiled reveals. There is a blocked parapet to the roof. The C14-C15 roof has been rebuilt, probably C19, but the gable end remains at east end. South aisle has a C13 lancet window in the west end and two restored windows of C14-C15 to the south wall. The south doorway of clunch is probably C13. It has a two centred arch of two chamfered orders. The chancel has two windows in the south wall. One of C13, restored, has two uncusped lights with quatrefoil and the other is C14 of two cinquefoil lights with quatrefoil and vertical tracery in the head. The east window was restored c.1885 and is of three graduated lancets. C14-C15 North doorway of four centred arch in square head with continuous moulding and dagger tracery. Interior: C15 west tower arch. Two centred and of two orders to east and west faces. Ogee and roll moulding on responds with similar mouldings. Nave-arcade, C13, restored, of four bays.

Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Screen, C15 but much restored. Six bays and two stages.

Ogee head and double cusping to side bays, with crocketting to upper stage and the lower stage with central mullion and tracery in the head. Piscina in south wall of chancel. Two bays each with trefoil cusping to two centred arches on columns. Foiled drain. Chest, C16. Oak with original iron furniture. Font C13. Limestone. Octagonal bowl on clunch stem.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) VCH: Cambs Vol V Pevsner: Building of England p428

Listing NGR: TL2708355174

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1108 IOE Records taken by Brian Jenkins; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Brian Jenkins. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Jenkins, Brian

Rights Holder: Jenkins, Brian

Keywords

Carstone, Clunch, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship

Back
to top