Littlewood And Sisley Including Adjoining Stable Block

Date:
26 Jun 2000
Location:
Littlewood And Sisley Including Adjoining Stable Block, Lumber Lane, Swinton, Salford, Greater Manchester, M28 0EL
Reference:
IOE01/02200/35
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

WORSLEY LUMBER LANE SD 70 SW (south side) 1/41 Littlewood and Sisley including adjoining stable 29/7/66 block - II

House, now 2 houses. c.1740 with later additions largely of the early C19. English garden wall bond brick with slate roof. 3-bay 2-storey house which was extended firstly to left and then as a parallel range to rear. The original house (to the south) has 3 windows on each floor with replacement casements and cambered brick arches on the ground floor. 4-panel door between bays 2 and 3. A gabled wing was added to the left and a taller 2-storey range to rear. The additions have various mullion and transom casements and 16-pane sash windows and now form a separate house. Brick chimney stacks. Arched entrance to stable block. The interior retains many original features including doors, a dogleg staircase and built in furniture. The house was at one time the residence of John Clarke, mill-owner, to whom the Bishop of Chester granted faculty for use as a preaching house. The first floor contained a chapel.

Listing NGR: SD7459301632

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0124 IOE Records taken by Bryan F Basketter; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Basketter, F. Bryan

Rights Holder: Basketter, F. Bryan

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport

Back
to top