The Canons

Date:
19 Aug 1999
Location:
The Canons, Madeira Road, Mitcham, Merton, Greater London, CR4 4HD
Reference:
IOE01/02201/19
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON MADEIRA ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/93 The Canons 7.5.54 GV II*

Substantial manor house. Late C17. Brick with later stucco. Plain tile hipped roof to eaves. 2 storeys plus basement and dormers. West facade of 5 bays with 2-bay extension to left. Central bay to original block projects slightly with square headed architraved corniced entrance, reached by steps. Square headed windows, blind to 2 right bays. Sashes, flush frames, glazing bars. Modillion eaves cornice above first floor. 3-bay return to south. Other facades also of architectural interest. Interior retains staircase with strong twisted balusters, some panelling, etc. Built by John Odway, who was granted a building lease in 1680.

London 2: South B Cherry and N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2786568345

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1962 IOE Records taken by Christopher Strevens; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Christopher Strevens. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Strevens, Christopher

Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher

Keywords

Brick, Stucco, Tile, Stuart Manor House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>

Back
to top