Parish Church Of St Peter And St Paul

Date:
20 Aug 1999
Location:
Parish Church Of St Peter And St Paul, Church Path, Mitcham, Merton, Greater London
Reference:
IOE01/02203/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for:

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

the building shall be upgraded to grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric in tower base. George Smith, architect. Roman cement render with some Bath stone dressings. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. 5-bay nave, aisled and with clerestorey; chancel arch to 2-bay sanctuary flanked by chapels. South east tower of three stages with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above, crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turrets. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery; the other windows Perpendicular and culminating in spectacular five-light Perpendicular west window. Grotesque label stops to aisle windows. Interior has tall arcades with clustered columns from which rises lierne plaster vault of remarkable charm and elegance. Rear gallery, modified in 1869. 1820s font.

Reredos of 1899.

Monuments include that to Sir Ambrose and Lady Crawley (d.1713 and 1727) by Gibbs and Rysbrack at the west end; to John Hyde (d.1810 ) by Rouw; tablets to the Tate family by Charles Harris. War memorial with central panel of St George and the Dragon by Martin Travers.

An early example of a Gothic Revival church in a pure Perpendicular style. George Smith was long the architect to the Mercers' Company and had an interest in designing his churches in varying historical styles. This is his exemplar in Perpendicular.

------------------------------------

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric to tower. George Smith, architect.

Cement render. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave, aisled; clerestory. Lower chancel tower to south east. 5-light east window, inter- secting tracery. 3-light aisle and 2-light clerestory windows; reticulated tracery.

3-stage tower with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above; crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turret; pinnacles. Chancel chapels to north and south.

Interior with clustered piers to tall painted arcade arches; shafts rising to tierceron vaults. Monuments by R Westmacott and others.

Listing NGR: TQ2704768689

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1962 IOE Records taken by Christopher Strevens; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Christopher Strevens. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Strevens, Christopher

Rights Holder: Strevens, Christopher

Keywords

Bath Stone, Render, Roman Cement, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, War Memorial

Back
to top