Church House Farmhouse

Date:
3 Oct 1999
Location:
Church House Farmhouse, Clewers Hill, Bishops Waltham, Winchester, Hampshire
Reference:
IOE01/02206/26
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SU 51 NE BISHOPS WALTHAM CLEWERS HILL

1879/4/10014 Church House Farmhouse

II

House, formerly farmhouse. Circa late C17. Flemish bond red brick with vitrified headers; English, Flemish and random bond brick at rear; brick platband at first floor level. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick gable-end stacks; NW stack with weathered set-offs; thrown clay pots. PLAN: L-shaped on plan; two rooms in the north range, parlour with gable-end fireplace to the west and unheated room to east, and with kitchen in the south east wing with a gable-end fireplace; entrance in the SW angle and stairs at the junction of the SE wing. Single-storey outshut extended to conservatory at rear and outbuilding converted to conservatory on south end of SE wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. The front comprises the inner SW sides of the 1-window ranges, the platband raised up over the entrance in the corner with C20 lean-to porch; C20 casements, ground floor left C20 bow window, ground floor right with flat brick arch. Rear [N] blocked central doorway, garden door to right and casements to left; east side has C20 ground floor window and small round-headed stair window to right of centre on each floor, ground floor within C20 conservatory with iron grille. INTERIOR: Unchamfered ceiling beams and exposed joists on ground and first floors; C20 brick chimneypieces. Dog-leg stair rising to attic. Attics ceiled, roof of queen-strut form. HISTORY: Church Farmhouse is situated in the park of the bishop's palace in Bishop's Waltham. After the Bishop's Waltham estate had been returned to the bishopric at the Restoration, the park was divided into farms to raise money for repairs to Farnham Castle. Church House Farm was probably one of those farms. SOURCE: Roberts, E., The Bishop of Winchester's Deer Parks in Hampshire, 1200-1400; Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, 1988; 44; 67-86.



Listing NGR: SU5553418419

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1294 IOE Records taken by Peter MacLeod; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter MacLeod. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Macleod, Peter

Rights Holder: Macleod, Peter

Keywords

Brick, Clay, Tile, Stuart Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Monument <By Form>, Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building

Back
to top